you're reading...

Recent Posts

Need help with your A/C bill?

Sept. 7. Summer may be coming to an end, but home cooling bills are coming due. If you are having trouble paying, you can get help from the Mecklenburg Department of Social Services (DSS).

To qualify, a household must meet the following criteria:

—At least one eligible U.S. citizen or legal resident

—Income below 150 percent of the federal poverty limit

—Be responsible for energy bills

—Households must be in a cooling or heating-related emergency

You will need ID, a utility bill, Social Security number and proof of income.

How to apply:

—Visit AllAccess.MeckNC.gov for more information and to apply online.

—Call 704-336-3000 to complete a telephone application. An energy representative will contact the applicant to begin the interview process.

—Visit a DSS location in person at the Wallace Kuralt Center, 301 Billingsley Road or at the Community Resource Center, 3205 Freedom Drive, Suite 1000.

To learn more about the Crisis Intervention Program, visit MeckNC.gov/ENERGY