you're reading...

Cornelius News

LKN Chrysler plans major expansion on Chartown

Architect rendering

Dec. 15. Lake Norman Chrysler Dodge Jeep has filed an application to build a new showroom—complete with an off-road driving experience—on 30 acres on Chartown Road along I-77. The Cornelius-based company will invest more than $17 million in the project, according to owner Jack Salzman.

Ground-breaking is tentatively scheduled for March or April of next year.

SALZMAN

New jobs

The veteran auto dealer said the expansion will ultimately bring 75 new jobs to Cornelius.

The existing store on Torrence Chapel will be devoted to used cars, accounting for 50 new jobs when the project is completed around August of 2022.

The new 46,800 square foot new car store on Chartown will net 25 new jobs, Salzman said. The project will include a site for a jet ski dealership as well.

“It’s a big job win for Cornelius,” Salzman said.

A total of 6 acres within the 30 acres on Chartown will be available for additional development. The property is just south of Life Fellowship Church.

Discussion

8 Responses to “LKN Chrysler plans major expansion on Chartown”

1. An Off road driving experience next to two quiet neighborhoods? Really?? The area is loud enough with I-77, we will suffer with even more noise. This portion of the project is not a good idea. How will you mitigate the noise?

Posted by Donald Berdan | December 17, 2020, 11:04 am
    • Jack Salzman, CEO of LKN Chrysler Dodge Jeep responds:
      “The off-road demonstration area will be at very low speeds & the number of vehicles at one time will also be very limited to ensure safe usage of the trails. We do not anticipate a large number of our customers using the trails since 75% of all Jeep’s are never taken on trails even though they are capable.”

Posted by Newsroom | December 17, 2020, 2:02 pm
  2. A car dealership connected to two quiet neighborhoods with children playing in the street. Potential car buyers will use the neighborhoods as their test driving track due to the already overpopulated Catawba and other streets. This small town cannot support yet another car dealership. Cornelius has a Hyundai dealership which recently expanded, Infiniti and Jeep dealership which also recently expanded to the old Michael Waltrip building. All which are using surrounding neighborhoods as as their test track. We need to stop catering to the car dealerships and provide something better for our community. We can do better than this.

Posted by Mel Reeder | December 18, 2020, 6:53 am
  3. I find it very funny that this business is looking to CREATE 75 NEW jobs to Cornelius and all one tree hugger is worried about is “trees”. To the tree hugger, are you blind to what’s happening in the world??? PEOPLE, need jobs!!! And you’re more concerned about trees. Trees, don’t pay bills , or put food on tables and feed families. JOBS, that have paychecks, they do that. You really need to rethink your priorities in life.

Posted by JEFF SHAW | December 18, 2020, 11:38 am
  4. Lake Norman Chrysler Jeep Dodge continues their investment in the Cornelius community-this is great news! Not only are they adding jobs to our town…they are some of the most generous people we have in LKN. They give back in more ways than I can count. I am behind the Salzmans 100%

Posted by Julie Mills | December 18, 2020, 3:41 pm
  5. It appears this is already a done deal! Shame on Cornelius Town Council for not looking for input from citizens who will be affected by this intrusion on two family/children orientated neighborhoods. I say this today, December 18th as I tried to navigate through the Exit 28 overpass of I-77. Cars were backed up and obstructing traffic flow on I-77 North, as the backup of cars far exceeded the Exit 28 exit ramp. It took five traffic lights for me to navigate from Hwy 21, across I-77 to get to The Fresh Market and my bank. I immediately thought how difficult it must be for local small businesses to survive, when locals don’t want to brave our traffic nightmare. So let’s not throw stones at “tree huggers” who care about our environment, our wildlife, our families, our future citizens until someone has the tenacity to stand up to the poor planning/dare I say greed of our community officials. This harkens to the dilemma of the haves vs. the have nots”. Shame!

Posted by Kay P. | December 18, 2020, 4:57 pm
  6. This is good for Cornelius….Lake Norman Chrysler Dodge Jeep is investing in our town and adding jobs! Not only are the Salzman’s making an economic impact in LKN, they are continuously giving back to our community with so many charitable endeavors. I’m behind this 100%!

Posted by Julie Mills | December 19, 2020, 7:27 pm