you're reading...

Cornelius News

Harris Teeter pulls gun-friendly koozies, controversy erupts

Koozies pulled from Harris Teeter

June 22. By Dave Yochum. A tweet about products on the shelves at a Harris Teeter in Huntersville gained national attention when the grocer pulled the product from the shelves.

The customer: Christy Clark, Democratic candidate for NC District 98 which includes Huntersville, Cornelius and Davidson. She faces incumbent Republican John Bradford, a Cornelius resident, in the fall.

Christy Clark

The product: Koozies with patriotic slogans like “America, love it or leave it” and “Give me liberty or give me death.”

The problem: The slogans were paired with images of a gun and an assault rifle, along with Thomas Jefferson and an American Eagle.

Just before the US Senate took its first step in significant new gun controls in the wake of the mass shooting at the Uvalde school massacre, social media popped with people complaining about the Teeter caving to “woke” pressure.

There were stories on Fox as well as online news media in Maine and Texas.

Kroger, parent company of Harris Teeter responded to Clark this way:

“Thanks for reaching out, Christy. As soon as these items were brought to our attention we put a recall request into place and these items are being removed from all store locations. We appreciate your concern.”

Comments attacking Clark, a gun safety advocate, have been profane.

Clark issued this statement: “Gun violence is the No. 1 cause of death of children and teens in this country, and we are the only developed country that faces the kind of gun violence we do. Because of my advocacy, I am receiving an onslaught of abusive attacks. But hate-filled attacks on those that advocate for changing gun laws and culture is nothing new. I won’t be silent about gun violence, and I certainly won’t be silent about hateful attacks. When we are silent, violence and hate wins. I call on all our elected officials to push back on this hate-filled rhetoric to allow for thoughtful discussion of how we can work together to save lives.”

Resolution? Harris Teeter has removed the koozies from the stores.

Clark’s original tweet

Discussion

41 Responses to “Harris Teeter pulls gun-friendly koozies, controversy erupts”

1. Thank you Christy for standing up and doing the right thing…we don’t need that in our stores.

Posted by SWH | June 22, 2022, 12:02 pm
    • We don’t need “that” in our stores??? Give me a break. We need MORE patriotism and MORE people to recognize what is causing the problems with crime and violence. SHAME on Harris Teeter for caving to liberalism AGAIN!

Posted by Mike | June 22, 2022, 1:36 pm
      • Mike never says what is causing the problems with crime and violence. It’s difficult to say what the cause is without mentioning the “gun” word. (Haven’t heard of too many stabbings lately.) And, of course, liberals are not patriotic. Only gun people are patriotic!

Posted by Kenneth C Schammel | June 22, 2022, 1:55 pm
        • Love it when topics are twisted and turned. Geez. I can give you a list of what is wrong, but being “offended” by a coozie is absurd. People should just walk on by and stop trying to tell others what they can like and what they can buy or own.

Issues will NOT be solved by restricting law-abiding citizens. But that’s not how politicians fire up their followers. Gotta push emotions…

Posted by Mike | June 22, 2022, 3:25 pm
          • Agree…. just walk by if you don’t like them

Posted by Nancy | June 22, 2022, 11:25 pm
          • I commend Harris Teeter for removing those items with guns.. And the people who are upset about it apparently have no compassion for all the lives that are being lost needlessly in this country to gun violence

Posted by Sandra Lenins | June 23, 2022, 1:17 pm
          • Agree, just walk by and don’t buy them

Posted by Marsue HAWKINS | June 23, 2022, 3:16 pm
      • We need to get rid of cars because more kids are killed in car accidents than mass shootings!

Posted by Joe Thompson | June 22, 2022, 7:51 pm
        • Actually, since 2020, guns kill more children than cars. And since 2020, the leading cause of death for children ages 1-19 is gun violence. Gun violence deaths for ages 1-19 in the USA outnumbered deaths by disease, car accidents, other accidents, for the past two years. I understand that you might not want to agree with this fact because it doesn’t serve your opinion or agenda… but it is sadly a fact of life for children in the USA. Our country is amazing in so many ways. However, we are doing a terrible injustice to the millions of children who live in fear of gun violence everyday while at school, in a movie theater, a shopping mall, or even a grocery store. Would it really be so horrible or against your beliefs if you had to be 21 to buy a firearm? You had to wait 30 days for a background check? Or a law enforcement officer had the legal right to take away your gun for a period of time if you had been reported and found to be struggling with mental health issues? Why isn’t there a compromise on gun safety to protect our children?

Posted by Melissa | June 23, 2022, 1:15 pm
          • Not sure I would agree with the data. 18 and 19 year olds are not children. What is the data for children excluding these adults?

Posted by Randy Salyers | June 23, 2022, 4:30 pm
          • How about distibuishing between lawful gun owners and perpetrators shoot up Chicago. The kille on the south and west sides of Chicago will NOT be stopped by “red flag” laws, better background checks, etc. The people buying guns defend themselves are NOT the cause of the overwhelng number of homicides.

Posted by Seth Goldstein | June 23, 2022, 6:23 pm
          • I am an avid 2nd Amendment gun rights proponent. However, your well written and thoughtful argument has given me pause to consider the possibility of rethinking my position. You weren’t hostile nor hateful in your position and you presented some facts that cant be denied. Your post got me—thank you.

Posted by Jeffrey Isaac | June 24, 2022, 6:34 am
      • What happened to a business’ freedom to do what they want? Oh, right. It was OK if they didn’t want to bake a wedding cake for a same sex marriage. You have no fluffing idea what patriotism is. Shame on you for your ignorance and your hypocrisy

Posted by Bethany Chance | June 23, 2022, 2:40 pm
    • Those koozies reflect our history in becoming a great nation. Guns don’t kill people. Tacit approval of social degradation does. Focus on the root causes; mental health, no cash bail, felons recycled back to the streets, liberal DAs,drug legalization and defunding police.

Posted by Joe Ruszczyk | June 23, 2022, 9:49 am
    • Thank you Christy and Harris Teeter for stepping on the 2nd Amendment. The fact is more people are killed by knives and by physical violence than by guns. Your ignorance is only exceeded by your lack of respect for our Constitution.

I am thankful that Christy is not in my district. However, Harris Teeter is in my district, and until they reverse their decision and apologize for their actions I will never spend my money at any of their stores.

By the way, are knives going to be taken off the shelves at Harris Teeter stores?

Posted by Mel | June 23, 2022, 1:00 pm

Posted by Sandra Lenins | June 23, 2022, 1:17 pm
      • It has absolutely NOTHING to do with a lack of compassion. It’s absurd for you, or anyone else to jump to that conclusion and frankly most of us find it offensive.

Everyone who wants to ban guns ALWAYS uses emotion to make their points because FACTS and RATIONAL THINKING destroy their case.

When you have logical, realistic answers to the problems with crime and violence EVERYONE will welcome them (except liberal politicians). But accusations toward those who don’t share your outlook accomplish nothing.

Posted by Mike | June 24, 2022, 12:20 am
    • There is nothing wrong with those items being in the store. If you don’t like them, you don’t have to buy them. We were all born with our God given constitutional rights.

Posted by Laura | June 23, 2022, 6:12 pm
  2. Defeated politician looking for publicity. This is patriotic material about personal rights, not hateful.

Posted by Art Rouse | June 22, 2022, 12:20 pm
  3. Perhaps its the capitalist in me but if you see an item in a store of any kind that offends you – don’t purchase it. The market then determines whether it is kept on the shelf and replenished or goes out of stock. Simple economics. I’m offended at the people who choose Hellmann’s over Dukes Mayonnaise on a BLT but they still sell a lot of it.

Posted by William Russell | June 22, 2022, 12:37 pm
  4. Ms Clark is either misinformed, or lying to fit her narrative. According to the CDC, the number one cause of death in children 1-14 is listed as unintentional injuries caused by accidents. Here’s a public service announcement: if you don’t like the outside of your coozie, turn it inside out.

Posted by Fran L Park | June 22, 2022, 1:04 pm
    • Christy Clark makes unreasoned and unsupported arguments to support her basic narrative of not liking anything to do with guns (although I bet she watches movies and TV shows that involve gun violence). I engaged in a discussion with her last year encouraging her to vote yes on the pistol permit repeal bill (that was ultimately passed but vetoed) and her response as to why she was going to vote no on the bill simply was unsustainable from a reason and fact perspective.

Posted by Stevie | June 22, 2022, 1:16 pm
  5. Thank you Christy Clark for all that you do. Christy Clark is not looking for publicity . She is an important long time member of “Moms Demand Action.” She has been a staunch supporter of gun safety laws to protect our children from being slaughtered by gun loving Republicans.

Posted by Deanna | June 22, 2022, 1:36 pm
    • How about the thousands of children that are killed by drunk drivers or abused by drunk parents. Is she going to demand that Harris Teeter stop selling all forms of alcohol? After all, buying a picture of a gun does not directly harm our children. Can Christy say the same about alcohol?

Just a thought by a clear thinking Republican.

Posted by Mel | June 23, 2022, 1:10 pm
  6. I am very proud that Ms. Clark is standing up to the hate filled people. Their rights end where mine begin. What about my rights? Don’t they count? Don’t remember any of our forefathers toting automatic weapons!!!! Guns were meant for a well-regulated militia and an 18 year old with no training and no background checks is not my idea of well regulated. Oh and by the way, I did look up the leading cause of death in children and it is firearms and car crashes. You chose to lump that under “unintentional causes”.

Posted by Mary spencer | June 22, 2022, 1:54 pm
  7. Uh….the bigger question is:
    What in the hell are Kozzies???

Posted by THE G | June 22, 2022, 1:55 pm
  8. Can we all just agree that throwing guns in peoples faces in light of all of the mass shootings and the children who have had their heads blown off is in bad taste? Can we be patriotic without that blatant disregard for decency? Good Lord people, get a grip. Get over your ammosexuality and try to find some compassion for these families and their community. Just like religion, keep it at home. Not everybody shares your views.

Posted by Barb | June 22, 2022, 2:51 pm
  9. I agreed with Christy and sent a complaint myself and mentioned it online. I got the nastiest comments. One calling me a “pussy” , another sent a penis pacifier, and many others a bunch of abortion related comments which have nothing to do with this. Being a retired teacher and grandmother (and a human for that matter), I’ve been so upset with the school , shooting in Uvalde, Parkland High School, Sandy Hook as well as the racist mass minder in Brooklyn. Nobody needs assault weapons but the military. When they were banned there were much fewer killings by assault rifles.
    I wish I could show you the screenshots here.

Posted by Becky Barger | June 23, 2022, 6:46 am
    • It is comments like yours that show how misinformed people are due to media biases. You lack facts about those mass shootings. Plus, there is no such thing as an “assault weapon” especially owned by civilians. That is a term made up by the media. Do you own an assault knife, assault car? And there is ZERO evidence that Clinton’s ban on some firearms had any impact on crime. Now… you want to talk about solutions or continue the liberal, emotional talking points?

Criminals do NOT obey laws and do NOT care about gun laws. There are already thousands of such laws. Let’s not forget drugs. EVERY so-called mass shooter has taken some form of mind altering drugs (prescription or otherwise).

No one like when innocent people are killed, especially children. Yet democrats voted against funding additional security for schools AND did not even want to protect Supreme Court judges. We sent 53 trillion to fight Biden’s war in Ukraine. That could have funded four professional security officers for every school in the country. I could go on, but until people stop listening to anti-gun crap nothing will change.

Posted by Mike | June 23, 2022, 1:15 pm
      • Mike, there’s a lot to unpack in your post, mostly related to your set of “facts” and conspiracy theories about the media. When each side is determined that their version of the facts is right it makes it challenging to engage in meaningful conversation. It’s unfortunate just how much the comments here reflect the ongoing stalemate in Congress, knowing that as everyone bickers it’s only a matter of time until the next tragedy.

And I know it’s off topic, but since you mentioned it, the war in Ukraine is not Biden’s war. That is simply a war of right vs wrong. Advocating that we sit idly by while Putin, a Russian dictator, invades a sovereign nation is hardly patriotic, and it sends a poor message to our allies. And perhaps it sends an even worse message other nations, such as North Korea or China. Germany in the 1930’s counted on that kind of isolationist thinking, and we know how that played out.

Posted by Justin | June 23, 2022, 6:20 pm
        • Love the “conspiracy theory” comment. That basically means anything you don’t agree with. But as I have noted, until people are ready to address the REAL problems with REAL solution, nothing will change. Another gun law will be useless against crime or murder. Anyway, I don’t like Putin any more that most people. BUT, Biden and others were money laundering there for years. More importantly, the USA had over 40 BIOLABS there, right against the Russian border. There are many reports saying they have been the Russian’s primary targets. To pretend that the USA is somehow completely innocent is to put your head in the sand. What would our reaction be if the Russians did the same thing along the Mexican border?

Posted by Mike | June 24, 2022, 9:33 am
  10. Is she born here? I bet she thought it would bring her notoriety in a more positive way playing on the bleeding heart, treehugger liberals with such anti patriotic rhetoric. I guess she just signed off on her defeat coming up. When are these “doughnut holes” going to realize that guns don’t kill people. People do. And it does not matter what kind of weapon they use. They are all just weapons until one uses it to assault someone. As I believe one great one Yoda once said…. “DemWits they are.”

Posted by Berachiah Yisrael | June 23, 2022, 10:53 am
  11. How big is a koozie? Maybe 3-4″×5-6″? If something on a koozie offends you, you were looking for something to be offended by.

Posted by Rover | June 23, 2022, 12:56 pm
  12. Ms Clark has managed to politicize the school shooting. Why does she feel compelled to link gun violence to patriotism? I may not agree with the sentiments expressed, but I respect the rights to sell these items. If I go into a store and see something I do not like, I do not buy it. That is my right. If an item offends her she is not forced to purchase. I spent my military career defending the rights she seeks to destroy.

Posted by Jerry Gunter | June 23, 2022, 1:35 pm
    • A coozie not carried is destroying your rights? Hyperbole much? My my you’re getting a lot of exercise jumping to conclusions. A store has the right to also NOT sell items. Get a clue.

Posted by Bethany Chance | June 23, 2022, 2:44 pm
  13. Substitute two men kissing on a koozie and tell me if the patriots in this audience would feel the same way?

Posted by Scott | June 23, 2022, 2:30 pm
  14. How amusing that the same cabal that insists a bakery shouldn’t be forced to bake a cake for a same sex wedding is now ranting because a business decides they don’t want to carry an item that this cabal worships.

Posted by Bethany Chance | June 23, 2022, 2:42 pm